Starting a Sole Proprietorship/Partnership
Two (2) types of businesses
How to start a business?
Sole proprietorship: Business wholly owned by a single individual using personal name as per his / her identity card or trade name.
Partnership: Business owned by two or more persons but not exceeding 20 persons. Identity card name can’t be used as business name.
Who can submit Form A?
- Registration of a new business to be done within 30 days from the date of commencement of the business.
- Registration can be done at any SSM counter or through online via Ezbiz Online services at
- Complete the Business Registration Form (Form A). Refer to
Guidelines For New Business Registration. Business may be registered using personal name or using a trade name.
- Personal Name - Business name using personal name as stated in the identity card is not required to apply for business name approval.
- Trade Name - Complete business name approval form (Form PNA.42). Refer to
Guidelines for Business Name Application.
- Business names approval is according to
Rules 15, Rules of Business Registration 1957.
- Business Registration can be made for a period of one (1) year and not more than five (5) years.
The owner/All partners
Trade Name – RM60 per year
Personal Name - RM30 per year
Branch (s) - RM5 per year for each branch
Validity certificate of registration