Effective from 1st of January 2021, Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) has agreed to recognize Continuing Professional Education (CPE) points through online learning methods without setting the limits or number of CPEs allowed according to the validity period of Practising Certificate of Secretary (PC).
Based on this new condition, CPE points that need to be complied with can be collected either by attending physical and/or online training without any breakdown of CPE points between these two (2) learning methods.
Meanwhile, the existing conditions regarding the CPE requirements for renewal of PC under section 241 of the Companies Act 2016 are still applicable as follows:
- Secretaries are required to collect the total number of CPE points based on the validity period of PC as shown in the table below:
|PC Validity Period||Number of CPE Points|
20 CPE points
40 CPE points
60 CPE points
- The training attended can be organised by SSM, professional bodies, regulatory bodies, training providers or in-house.
- CPE points are calculated based on the number of learning hours attended which is 1 CPE point equals to 1 learning hour.
- All types or categories of online training can be considered for CPE points including webinars and e-learning.
- Secretaries shall comply with the type of training / courses and percentage of CPE points as set out in paragraph 35 of the Guidelines Relating to Practising Certificate for Secretaries under Section 241 of the Companies Act 2016.
Suruhanjaya Syarikat Malaysia
Date : 10 December 2020